Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Textured and rigged...for the most part.

Haven't updated in a while about this, but I have been working on it. I swear. She's textured for the most part. I'll go back later and add some finer details, but I don't wanna stay too closely focused on one element and skimp on others.

The rig is also done for the most part. As I weight the geometry to the bones, sometimes I catch that a pivot or a series of bones isn't quite where it should be. It's an on going process.

Face is rigged, too. Controlled grossly with blendshapes, and more finely with face bones. This is where majority of the refinement is being done. Even after a few animation tests, I'm still finding places where things aren't quite right.
Like in this test, the lower lips aren't responding as well as I'd like them to. From screen left, count 1-6, joints 2 and 4 need attention in the weighting department and joints 1 and 6 seem extraneous. On the top row joints 1 and 6 could stand some weight polishing. I'm also not too happy with the pucker-face blendshape target, so that'll need attention. A laundry list of things to take care of.



I've rigged her in my usual method of control-rig connected to the skeleton, physically, through only one point--a Point Constraint on the root joint. Everything else is matched up via hierarchy. Both Controls and Skeleton are parented under one master Character Control Curve (seen in the second image above as the 4-pointed shape under her feet). This control is for scene positioning and shouldn't be keyed. The root of the Control skeleton is the one control you need to key (named appropriately KeyMe). You set your animation preferences to key the entire hierarchy, create your pose, select the KeyMe curve and press "S". Done. All controls are now keyed.
Alternately, it's a very easy way of restoring the bind pose. Select the KeyMe curve, select the hierarchy by entering "select -hi;" and then entering zeros in all transformations. Bam. Inital pose reacquired.
Okay, I lied. It's not only one place. The face is a separated hierarchy so that you can work on it separately. The KeyMe control for that is the big face-shaped curve around the face controls. Same principal, though.

No comments: